Saturday, September 28, 2019

Bring on the Train Spotting Season

The air show season is over.  The nature season is waning.  Bring on the trains.
The photo club did have an excursion earlier this year to see the #1225 in maintenance mode, but now getting itchy to see her in action.  
Last year, had a great time chasing the train around the area.  Unfortunately I entered the game a bit on the late side.  I won't make that mistake again this year.  I think I missed a few opportunities to get some pictures with snow - or a lot of snow - or fresh snow.  When the train starts making its weekend Polar Express runs, the leaves are down and the skies are gray.  The subject better be good and any help is appreciated.
The local train chase in the area will begin in mid-November, still a few weeks away.  The #1225 itself is out making the rounds other places in the State.  Next weekend it will be making a scenic trip from Mt. Pleasant to Cadillac.  (Shhh, C has a birthday coming up - and we have tickets for the day's trip.)  With any luck, the day will be great and the leaves will be turning to fall colors.
So to celebrate the beginning of the rail season (for me anyway, not sure if there is an official rail spotting season.), I went trough some shots from last year.  One of my most memorable days on the chase last year was a late December morning, some friends from the Club and I started the chase in Owasso.  We arrived in time to see the #1225 just out of the barn and being loaded with fuel (coal) for the day.
I like this first shot for a few reasons.  First, there is coal in the air falling out of the bucket.  Next, for all the 'greyness' in the shot, you have the orange traffic cone, the green safety vest and the blue engines to add some color.  The position of the CAT on top of the coal pile is interesting as well.  And call me lucky, but the headlight isn't totally blown.




Feeding the #1225
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
150 mm, 1/320 sec, f/5.6, ISO 800
EV -1, APERTURE Priority, Size DX

One of the elements of the #1225 shots is the steam exhaust.  The more the better.  In still air, fantastic.  I played around with trying to bring out more contrast, definition in the steam.  I tried some HDR and other blending tricks, but in the end the original was the best for me.




#1225 on the Move
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
90 mm, 1/800 sec, f/5.6, ISO 800
EV -1, APERTURE Priority, Size DX

One of the other elements I look for when at a location is the not so obvious angle, which is usually crowd or other photographer shots.  During my hour at this location, I did talk to the people pictured here.  No sense in asking if they were rail fans, it was cold and it was early.  Only fans are out at this time.




#1225 Fans
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
62 mm, 1/500 sec, f/5.6, ISO 800
EV -1, APERTURE Priority, Size DX

No comments:

Post a Comment