Saturday, August 25, 2018

And now for something completely different - Grasshopper

I usually like some form of harsh contrast on my finished images.  And I tried here.  I really did try.  That look just wouldn't click for me.  After trying various tricks, shades, filters and processes I finally thought to just go with it as is.
But in getting out of my comfort zone, I created more work than I thought.
Here is a grasshopper just along for a ride on the front of my truck.  The pace was slow, between 5 and 7 MPH.  I'm guessing he/she/it has done this before, staying put on the surface for about a mile.


ISO 800, f/8, 1/1000 sec, 480 mm

One might think that the post processing on this is easier than trying to find the right effect for contrast manipulation.  Maybe for some, but not for me.  This getting a nice smooth image takes some effort.
The trick is to remove as many surface distractions as possible.  And a lot of them don't show up right away.  I'd finish with what I thought was the final product only to see something else after looking/staring at it for a while.  Seriously, I probably have 5-7 tries at this.
Although the hood of my truck is in pretty good shape, it didn't hold up well against a flat sky.  Most, if not all, post processing programs have some form of 'healing' process that is quick and easy.  Takes a bit of time and magnification, but is well worth it.  But because it is a nice even surface, the healing is pretty easy.
I do like the way this turned out.  This is out of my comfort zone with the subject and the finished image.  Although this doesn't qualify for a nature shot it will be a killer at reflections night.

No comments:

Post a Comment