Saturday, September 8, 2018

Juvenile Eagle in Flight

Clearly the rock stars for me at the Shiawassee Refuge are the Eagles.  I've seen the adults only in the distance, but the kids for whatever reason make themselves available to the masses close up.  At some point, the young ones will be passe, but not for now.
There were two in a tree just off the road causing a traffic jam this morning.  Taking nothing away from the stars, it's a one lane, one way path so it can be done easily.
But there they were, just sitting there with a crowd gathering close by.  Okay, there were four of us there constituting a crowd, but we didn't blend in.  The young Eagles took it in stride.
Photographically speaking, this was probably the worst lighting condition you could get.  The sun, behind the high clouds, directly behind the bird.  It's not like you can ask the subject to chill while you compose a better shot.  Took a little effort to lighten up the under wing.  Doable.




ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/1250 sec, 450 mm

So this one is just sitting in the tree.  Just looking like flight was moments away.  And the flight moment came.  And I was ready.  Except.....  My angle as such that the branches and leaves were in the way for the first few moments.  This is the first shot clear of the distractions.
One of the change I made today was changing my low speed continuous from 5 FPS to 3 FPS.  I may have to reconsider.  For these day trips, card space is not an issue.  For the Reno trip, I may leave it set for 3 FPS.  Shot count may be an issue there.


No comments:

Post a Comment