Monday, April 8, 2019

Eagle Approach to Nest

Today's biggest decision for after work was to go for exercise walk or go Eagle watching.  Too nice a day to worry about health.
Turns out it was a good decision to ditch the walk.  I went out to my favorite Eagle paparazzi spot thinking that the excellent temperature and clear skies would have the Eagles moving around.  Not that I know a lot about Eagle habits, but the warm weather had me out and about.
Once I arrived at the park, I could tell this was the right thing to do.  It was as (critter) noisy as I'd heard it so far this year.  Bug, geese and other birds were all in symphony.
Compared to other visits, I was there just over an hour when I saw the unmistakable shape of an Eagle on approach against a cloudless blue sky.  It flew toward me, did a circle over my viewing area and a circle approach to the nest.
Two technical points about today, I wanted to do a lot of shots with the 1.3x frame size.  This would effectively extend my max viewing angle to that of a 600 mm lens.  I really need to know how much I can crop the image if necessary before it becomes unusable.  And I wanted to slay the other monster that attacks my wildlife images, the photo bombing trees that steal the auto focus.
I took just over 140 Eagle shots this afternoon.  I had only three shots that the focus was really, really bad.  I had another three where the trees stole the focus.  With the rest, the auto focus held on the moving subject through the branches.  Just like the Engineers drew it up.  For me, excellent results.
What I witnessed this afternoon was shift change at the nest.  Wow.  I was hoping the approaching Eagle would have some form of food for its mate.  Alas, there was nothing but empty talon.  When I saw the other mate leaving the nest, I figured out what was going on.
I still don't know if there are Eaglets in the nest.  In the past I've seen food flown in.  This was different.  This was two parents hunting.  The population in the nest may be more than two.
So, it was a great day to Eagle watch.  For the most part, I didn't screw anything up.  I have some great images with both DX and 1.3x frame sizes.  Even with a pretty good crop, this turned out well.





I was shooting at 3 FPS.  Part of me says I should have gone at a higher rate, but instead of throwing away over 100 shots, there would be more.  There is a sequence where I would have really like to had a higher rate, but we'll see what I can pull out of that one.  Today, definitely one of the better efforts.  And a lot of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment