Monday, July 18, 2022

Thunder over Michigan - 2022

The show is over.  I know the word 'luck' is often overused to describe how events turn out.  Although I had fun for the days I went, the photo ops were very limited.  The skies were just horrid for a lot of the aerial shots.  Friday for the first few hours were OK, but after that it was a real hit (20%) or miss (80%) for any kind of sky definition.  For the show, 2,526 files.  1,895 shots were from the D500 and 80-400.  There was about 30 minutes where I had the 200-500 in use, but quickly ditched it in favor of the 80-400.  The rest were with the D850 and the f/2.8 family.
My number of aerial shots is really down because of the sky conditions.  Most of the remaining shots are taxi, ramp and lucky breaks in the sky.
Things I learned:
1.  I had been shooting on shutter priority mode for the last few shows.  At Selfridge last week, I had a few missed shots due to the metering being off.  So I started this show off back in Manual mode.  That didn't last long.  The light conditions were constantly changing with the heavy clouds.  Back to Shutter Priority.  Everything worked out fine.
2.  My go-to shutter speed for military props is officially 1/200.  C-130 props will show fully in at 1/100.  Best speed for helicopter is 1/60.
3.  For the night shoot I got some things right, and room to improve in other areas.  Things I got right, I brought a tripod.  After that, lots of room to improve.  I was going to use a wireless remote to release the shutter, but I noticed there many others doing the same.  All I could see was cross channel releases.  So I went with a manual delayed release. I also had to quick learn the Live View function and how it could help me in a new environment.
4.  The Spitfire demo was one of the best I've ever seen by a WWII era aircraft, and the Hurricane wasn't far behind.
In the end, the night shoot was a total learning experience.

Sometimes it is fun to watch the watcher.


UH-1H with Photographer
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20/NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8
165 mm, 1/60 sec, f/18, ISO 64
EV 0, Shutter Priority, Size FX

Weather also caused quite a few aircraft cancellations.  I think the show coordinators did a pretty good job of filling in the gaps.  I'm sure it wasn't easy.  Despite the last minute weather related changes, I'll be going back next year.  As to the photos for this year, I'm sure I'll find something to talk about and post.

No comments:

Post a Comment