Saturday, September 11, 2021

Kurt Meets the Monster Richfield Snake

 The Video journey continues.

During the Thunder over Michigan airshow, I was introduced to the 360 degree video concept.  After some research and seeing it in action, I was hooked.  New technology.  New Toy.

Last night was the obligatory walk around the house.  Just enough footage to figure out the software end.  Footage to accompany lots of YouTube time.  After a few hours one can understand the process.  Still have a long way to go, as I just have the basics.  First step.

Today's adventure was just to see how long the thing can go on one battery.  And to see what it does.  The default resolution is 5k at 30 fps.    I'm not a fan of 30 fps, seems to pixelate more than I'm comfortable with.  I had settled on 1080 @ 60 fps for the cameras and GoPro.   Lowest common denominator that is still HD.  This camera does not have the option, so went with the default for now.  I caught what might be some pixilation or might be a stich issue.  For the most part though, the final product is more than acceptable.  After one try.

So I shot a lot of 'footage' today.  Just for testing.  And to be deleted.  Soon.  But during today's walk, the one thing that you hope would happen, happened.  Something unexpected, nature close up.


What to take away from this is had I been "Vlogging" with a Gopro, this capture is not made.  With the Insta360, even though I was the star and subject of  my walk, when the unexpected happens, you still got it.  So what I get from this is:  I still like the GoPro.  I think it has a better output.  You can get ND filters to help improve the final output.  But the Insta360 makes walking alone almost like walking with a film crew.

I'll keep the GoPro.  I'll keep videoing with the Nikons.  But so far, I really like the Insta.

No comments:

Post a Comment