Sunday, September 26, 2021

The U2 Appearance - Day 1

In my previous visits to the Air Races, there has always been a chance for an 'unadvertised' guest appearance.  In 2018, there was a B-52 fly-by one day and a U2 fly-by the next.  In 2019, there was a F/A-18 Demo.
For the B52 - I was ready.  For the U2, not so much.  I had one lucky shot.
Every morning, there is a schedule available for the race events and the performers.  When I get to see the schedules, I look for the military events.  I knew the F-35 Demo team was there for the event, and I expected them Saturday and Sunday, with maybe a practice on Friday.  I knew the Thunderbirds were there as well, but Friday, Saturday and Sunday only.  Bring on the Weekend!
Then on Thursday, I found the Easter Egg.  U2 at 12:05.  My day just got re-arranged.  I started looking at the events around the U2, timing and camera settings are everything.  Lessons from the past.
Well, 12:05 came and went, no U2.
After waiting 90 minutes, I started roaming around.  I moved toward the Jet area.  The Jet area is on the approach end of the show.  I was talking with another photographer when two black jets flew down the runway.  I didn't see any markings on the jets.  They looked like T-38s or F5s.  Or F20s.  But they were black, and if there were any markings, they were subdued.  Dammit, by the time I saw them they were half way down the runway.  And I had the close-up camera lens thing going.  As I turned to resume chatting with the other photographer, I saw the U2 approaching.  I had about 45 seconds to swap cameras and get the setting right.  Practice, Practice, Practice.


U2 on Approach
NIKON D500 Ver.1.30/NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED)
300 mm, 1/2000 sec, f/4.5, ISO 100
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX


U2 Low Pass
NIKON D500 Ver.1.30/NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED)
300 mm, 1/2000 sec, f/4.5, ISO 100
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX


U2 Departure
NIKON D500 Ver.1.30/NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED)
300 mm, 1/2000 sec, f/4.5, ISO 100
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

I should note that usually my Reno shots of the past had great clear blue skies.  Not so much this year.  The California fires in the Lake Tahoe area, the Caldor and Tamarack fires, provided a lot of non-clear skies.  Funny how 2021 may be the year of resuming travel, but everywhere I go there are flat skies.
Back to the U2 story.  The U2 did a low pass in front of the stands.
After checking out my shots I ran up to our seats to show off what I had.  To my horror, my shots were not the best of the day.  Had I stayed in my seat, I would have had the low pass in front of the Reno pylon.  Doh!
The other photo-nic in our group had a great shot of the U2 and the Reno Pylon.  Even the other photographers in the area had great shots as well.  With the Chase Car!  Double Doh!
Not that there is ever any competition in our group for photos but second place is for losers.  
How can I possibly recover from this?  (Hint: Stay tuned for Day 2.)

No comments:

Post a Comment