Monday, May 25, 2020

Bringing home the food

A few nights ago I watched a NOVA TV program that dealt with Eagles, and one of the story lines had information of feeding and growth.  There is a lot of both.  Quickly.
I've wanted to get a photo of an Eagle bringing home the food, and today I got close.
From my viewing spot, there's not a lot of warning with an Eagle gliding to its nest to get the bird in flight.  I thought my best tactic would be to focus in on the nest and fire away if I saw the shadow over the pond.  For this, could have used a higher speed?  For now though, it will do.




Fish Delivery
NIKON D780 Ver.01.01/200-500mm f/5.6E
500 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 220 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size FX

I figured with a growing Eaglet, or two, were still in the nest the food express should be every 90 to 120 minutes.  I was at the nest when this delivery was made.
As can be seen, the leaves are really filling in.  Could be a sign I've worn out my welcome.  Until fall at least.

2 comments:

  1. Great shot! Your eagle nest stalking reminds me of the couple of summers I did the same at the Barothy Lodge. At least the mosquitoes aren't too bad for you yet. Trying to stand perfectly still while getting swarmed is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to think of it a Eagle Paparazzi. Stalking has such a negative connotation to it.

    ReplyDelete