Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Return to Dover

The 2022 Airshow tour continues with a return to Dover AFB in Delaware.  I was stationed at Dover from 1983 to 1992.  The USAF calculated it at 8 years and 9 months.  It was a great time.  I had the best job I could ever want, that was a flight engineer on a C5 aircraft.  Going to this airshow this past weekend meant a lot to me as my chances to see FRED fly again diminish each day.
The airshow had a very good schedule.  Both the Thunderbirds and Blue Angel Demo teams would be there.  Ear plugs required.  There was a B2 fly-by as well as a C17/C47 Heritage Flight.  (Redemption)
But my goal was to see FRED in the air again, even if for only 15 minutes in an airshow demo. 
I started flying on the "A" models in 1983.  Oh, the book we had to carry.  There were modification to the wings, engines and pylons going on at the time.  And we had to know the flight characteristic limitations for each aircraft.  Life became much 'easier' when the "B" models were delivered starting in 1986.  Modern, for the time, clean and only one set of books.
Aircrew life fit me well.  Every day was different.  Again, best job ever.
When I saw Dover was having a open house (airshow) this year, I elected to to travel east.  I can go to Reno for the Air Races next year.
The weather for the show was HOT.  HOT.  HOT.  After baking in 95 degree air temps for a few hours on Saturday, and probably 120 on the tarmac, we didn't make it for the Sunday show.  We were cooked.  And as it turned out, plan "B" for Sunday turned out OK.
So, going through the photos tonight.  I have 1211 shots for the weekend to go through - should keep me busy for a few days.


C5 Airshow Climbout
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31/Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6
227 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.3, ISO 100
EV 0, Shutter Priority, Size DX

It was a great weekend to get away.  Lots of good photos.  My hit rate was pretty good.  Unfortunately, a lot are duplicates and will find the trash.  And a spoiler alert, the best shot of the weekend turned out to be an Osprey!  A V22 or bird of prey?  That will come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment