Tuesday, May 31, 2022

The Herons of Kensington Metropark

I live under a rock.  Not sure where I picked that up.  Most of the people I grew up with are natural inquisitive explorers.  I balance that out.
There is a metropark that I have passed numerous times in the last 25 years of my life in Michigan.  Last weekend, I finally paid the $10 to spend a few hours exploring.
My photo club has started going there in the past year.  I've never been able to join them on these excursions - but I have heard the tales.  This past weekend was the perfect time to go.
I was hoping to see some bigger birds of prey, but that was not to be.  I did get to see a number of small birds chase a hawk through the trees, followed by a number of photographers.  That lasted for about 15 minutes - and for me at least yielded no useable shots.
The metropark does boast a Heron Rookery on Wildwing Lake.  I've seen photos of rookeries in the southern states, but none close by.  It is a Rock thing.


Heron Family Portrait
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20/NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6
400 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/6.3, ISO 180 (Auto)
EV 0, Manual, Size FX


GBH in the Trees
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31/NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6
750 mm, 1/800 sec, f/5.6, ISO 280 (Auto)
EV 0, Aperture Priority, Size DX



GBH Returning Home to the Kids
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31/NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6
660 mm, 1/1600 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100
EV 0, Aperture Priority, Size DX

The first shot was taken while I was walking around for my initial survey.  The shot was hand held.  But while I was there, I know I would return with heavier equipment.  In a rare display of forward thinking, I had the D500 combo-ed with the 200-500 lens ready in reserve.  I also now have stored permanently stored in the truck, a monopod with appropriate gimbal.  All came to good use.  In the middle shot, I decreased the shutter speed to 1/800 from my usual 1/1250 speeds.  That doesn't happen often.

No comments:

Post a Comment