Sunday, May 1, 2022

Tobico Marsh

I found out about the Tobico Marsh area a few weeks ago from one of my friends in the Camera Club.  The area is about an hour north, so easy drive.  My normal nature area, Shiawassee, is still somewhat closed until June 1.  I've noted, not complained, that the changes made to the area in order to hold more water have moved the a lot of wildlife away from the drive.  Not to say I'm looking for a new place to visit, but I'm looking for a new place to visit.
By description, Tobico fits the need.  Michigan is full of places where the origins are in early lumber acquisition.  The Tobico area is no exception.  The area's history starts with logging interests and selling to private individuals when the land was cleared - and in 1957 the individuals selling this area to the State of Michigan and being re-named the Tobico Marsh State Wildlife Refuge.  The area has been added to with other land purchases over time and is now about 1650 acres.
I see lots of potential for wildlife.  I think the season for a lot of activity is not here yet, as the area was not very busy.  Day was a bit on the cold side.  Sky was Michigan spring FLAT.  But I was there to scout the area and test out the D500 and 80-400 lens combo.  And if I could get a little work in with the D850 and 200-500 combo with a monopod, it would be a good day.
It was a good day.
It was a good day for squirrel and chipmunk photos.  And some small birds.
But along the way to small critters, there were two scenes that caught my attention.
Now I'm not an expert on many things, and what I assume to be Beaver domain markings.  But I think this is one sign.  There were many trees in the marsh that looked like the Beavers started the tree felling - and man finished it.  And there were a lot of trees where man was not needed.
This was the first interesting tree stump that I came across.  I like taking photos of wood where the texture can really be brought out - without heroic post processing efforts.


Beaver Fuel
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31/NIKON 80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
210 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6 ISO 500 (Auto)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

This tree never stood a chance.  You might, rightfully, ask - why are you shooting a still subject at 1/1250?  The answer is I'm working with the lens at what I want to shoot aircraft.  So criticisms of this flaw will fall on deaf ears.
In the marsh area, one of the walkways into the marsh is marked - Closed.  This might be why.


Closed Walkway
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31/NIKON 80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
120 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6 ISO 400 (Auto)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

There are better views of the walkways condition, but are all blocked with trees.  Too bad, this walkway is a mess.  And very interesting.  There is an observation tower right next to this where I tried to get a better view from above.  No luck on this subject, but winner shots to come from the top of the tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment