Monday, September 5, 2022

Friday Night Lights

And now for something completely different.....
Every now and then I get to start a new category.  Today is one of those days.  Not sure if it will stick, but the 2022 Airshow season for me is pretty much over.  Need to do something - and this is what we call in the corporate world a 'stretch'.
A few weeks ago, I was out to a lacrosse tournament.  Haven't seen a game in years.  It was a lot of fun.  Lot's of good action.  And in the middle of the day - warm.  I never figure these things out for myself - I get invited.  Or in this case - dared.  And good for photography friends who pull me out of a rut.
And the same 'friend' dared me again to stretch, this time with Friday night lights.  As with most of my photography friends, he's a Canon guy.  I think he really wants to see if I could handle a Nikon outside of perfect airshow conditions.
And good for him, I wanted to see what the Nikon would do as well.  And can I handle the Friday Night Lights.
As with most times I try something new, if you shoot enough shots, something is bound to work right.  And Friday night I shot 350+ shots.  And a few turned out OK.  A few.
I use the D850/70-200 f/2.8 for the evening.  It did OK.  The shots that didn't require much cropping were pretty much good right out of the camera.  I shot manual with Auto ISO, and the highest was 11,400.  And for the most point, the shots were usable.  That being said, I hit the shot buffer a few times at 7 fps.  That was a first.  Yes, shots were missed.  I dialed it back to 5 fps which somewhat cured the issue.  Lessons learned.


DHS Stands
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20 /Nikkor 70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8
70 mm, 1/1,000 sec, f/4.5, ISO 800 (Auto)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size FX

To me this is one of the more interesting shots of the night.  Pure football.  Should have been higher than 1/500 sec.  lesson learned.


DHS Running Back
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20 /Nikkor 70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8
200 mm, 1/500 sec, f/4.5, ISO 900 (Auto)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size FX

For the most part, I focused on the QB.  Most of the action is there, right?  Rookie stuff.  Coming from the defensive side.  I like the shots where you can also see the ball in flight.


DHS Pass
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20 /Nikkor 70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8
200 mm, 1/500 sec, f/4.5, ISO 1000 (Auto)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size FX

The opposition runner.  He is pretty good.


Detroit Central Catholic Runner
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20 /Nikkor 70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8
135 mm, 1/500 sec, f/4.5, ISO 800 (Auto)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size FX

Will post a few more shots later.
But for end of the experience thoughts.  I chose the D850 for the full sensor and low light exceptional ISO traits.  But it is advertised as a portrait camera - and fast action is limited.  That is truth in advertising.  Next time, the D500 gets a try.  If I do that, I'll have to put the 70-400 on the front end.  There won't be as much room to crop.  It will be more than enough lens.  The noise could be more prevalent.  The best shots for focus were 1/800 to 1/1000 second.  I could use the 1/500 shots - but I wouldn't want to count on them.  And after all, this is a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment