Saturday, September 10, 2022

Why I shoot RAW - Again

Why I shoot RAW  - Again.
First, the disclaimers.
I generally set up my camera for the day to create both RAW and JPG images.  My reasoning is with JPGs, through the Snapbridge App I can download a file to my phone.  I can save it for later or share it.  That is the only reason.  I have the JPG setting for in camera processing to Vivid or Landscape.  That's it.  Nothing special after that.  I'm sure if I was living in JPG land, I could tweak the settings a bit more.  But I don't live in JPG land.
Truth is, most of the JPGs come out pretty well.  Nikon, as one would expect, does a nice job.  Especially if you give it something to work with.
But sometimes in more difficult environments - not so much.  And the reality is I'm not into quantity.  If I shoot 1,200 shots at an air show, I'm looking for the 10-20 best shots.  Most outings, I'm looking for 5 to 10 good shots.
And working with RAW files fits that mold.
The past two weekends, I've been enjoying Friday Night Lights football at the local high school.  And enjoyed every minute of it.  Last weekend, the sky was lightly overcast providing a lot of good light.  Last night was clear and a million.  (Very clear)  Harsh shadows.  The stadium is basically north-south.  With the stands on the west side.  When the sun is setting, the shadow comes across the field toward the aluminum seats.  Perfect setting for HDR - except for that tricky action-motion thing.
This is the story:  120 mm, 1/1,000 sec, f/5, ISO 360.
Metering is center weighted.  I use Auto ISO, so metering is taken into account.
The original RAW image:


Those stands are bright.  Let's see what the Nikon in camera processing does.


If there is improvement, I don't see it.
The original histogram:


Lot's of darks, but I'm guessing the camera won't adjust anything because of the lights blocking much movement.  JPGs are not designed to be manipulated.  You can, but with each subsequent save, there is data lost.  RAW files are designed to be manipulated.
The trick, for me anyway, is to manipulate the curves.  For aircraft photos, this is the tool for filling in shadows.  In the case of this shot - need more than filling in.  But this is what the curves will do.


Nix the highlights.  Pump the Darks.

The adjusted histogram:


I still have the highlights on the right, but I've evened out the darks.  You could make an argument that I could lighten the darks even more, which is true.  But I'm claiming artistic license here.  It's still in the shadows.  And I want to show the difference.
The adjusted shot:


Much improved.  For me anyway.  Doesn't look photoshopped.
Could you make such a drastic change with a JPG.  Maybe.  I would want to stake a one time only shot on it.  Again, RAW files are designed and meant to be manipulated.
And that is why I continue to shoot and 'develop' RAW files.  I can depend on the shot.  Unless I miss it.  Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment