Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Air Show Mode - 2020



A4 Taxi Wave
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
450 mm, 1/1600 sec, f/9, ISO 560 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

The Air show 2020 season is on the radar.  Just past the 6 week ring.  I have three weekends of work and three free weekends to go.  Yes, I'll probably get some horse action in and maybe some wildlife opportunities but I am now in air show mode. 
Air Show Mode.  Last year, to say I was obsessed with doing better with props might be an understatement.  This year, what to work on?  There will be a lot.
First, there is the new equipment question.  
The D500 is a air show beast.  Fast.  Large buffer.  As a DX, makes the 70-300 an effective 105-450.  Best reach, 600 mm.  Proven, and I'm comfortable with it.  
The D780 not as fast, but at 7 FPS it is adequate.  If I can get comfortable with the Live View, it goes to 12 FPS.  Yep, that'll work.  Matched to the 70-300 lens, it is, well 300 mm.  I could toss it to DX mode, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a full frame camera.  Looks like some of the next two weeks will be testing.
For lenses, I just can't see lugging the 200-500 around for a few hours.  I can hide the 70-300's size in a back pack.  In the back pack it doesn't look all that big.  The 200-500 can't be hidden.  I have a holster bag for it, still can't hide it.  The Charleston show rules are a small camera bag will get in.  I'm not sure the back pack will get in.  Until I get a 24-70 FX lens, the 18-200 on the D500 will have to be the close up unit.  Note to self, last year at Beauford MCAS, there were no useful close up shots.  That little fact may factor in as to the equipment question.  Also, there are two days of show.  If it really goes south, there will always be day 2.  And I can always try to get the back pack in, just have to return it to the car if it exceeds limits.
Seems like an awful lot of thinking for a four hour show.  Is there something else at play here?  Absolutely!
My host for Charleston has upped his game for 2020.  Last year he was a disgruntled Canon owner.  This year, Sony A7iii.  (And I think he's not happy with last year's efforts - he's going to be out to beat Team Nikon.)  He's got 6 weeks to get ready as well.  But he also has southern weather so he'll have a few days on me.  So yes, under all the niceties of our discussions, there will be war.  And dinner.
Two weeks after Charleston I'll be at Cherry Point MCAS in North Carolina.  I'm very excited about this event.  I have two young air show rookies to work with.  Goal is simple, rev the kids up and get them to want to be with Uncle Kurt at some point next year for another show.  And if they at some point get excited about the aviation field, hopefully another reason to do well in school.  No pressure on me.
The crown jewel of photography will be the Thunder over Michigan event in August.  I have the photographer's package.  This is special access to the event.  By this time, I should have all the kinks worked out and should be ready for almost anything.
Closing out the year will be Reno in September.  I have to get creative, there has to be other angles I can shoot.  The 200-500 won't be an issue, other than carrying it around. 
So the next six weeks there will be some training.  Local parks and Port Huron for bird and Sea Gull for moving target practice.  Working with the 200-500 on both the D500 and D780.
Yep, and I'll have to do the same thought process for the horse events.

No comments:

Post a Comment