Sunday, March 22, 2020

Time marches on.......

What a difference two weeks makes.  The last post talks about going to air shows that have now been cancelled.  I thought my South Carolina trip would go on no matter what - and I've had to postpone it.  So far in my neck of the woods, we are allowed to roam, but not in packs.  Don't like the thought of it, but if it brings this craziness to an end quicker I'm all for it.
That being said, I did go out to the Park for a quick walk and a few shots.  I did not see anyone at the park.  There were two other cars.  My deal with C was if there were five cars or more, I would turn around.  I would not spend more than one hour there, unless I had phone approval.
Aside for the need of fresh air after being cooped up for a week, I had two goals for the brief outing.  One, check the status of the park Eagle's nest and test out the D780 and 200-500 lens combo.  
I had gone out to the nest a few weeks ago and didn't see much activity.  As an Eagle lifecycle non-expert, I think last year at this time it was egg watching time in the lifecycle.  So that there was no activity was no surprise.  Today, I wanted to see some activity just to let me know, life is going on.  
As I remember from last year, when the activity was egg guarding and warming with minimal nest movement, the nest inhabitants were hard to see.  The best vantage point to see the lowest part of the nest is also the farthest away.  Challenges.
So today walking by, I thought I saw a white plastic bag in a tree.  A small bag.  But it was not, it was the top of the Eagle's head.
So, as allowed by time and law I will try to get out there again this year for some good photos.  I think the D500 and the 200-500 will be an excellent combo.  The extra reach by the D500 will allow the photos to not be as cropped and allow greater definition.
So this photo with the D780 and cropped.  From a great distance.  Spylike.




Eagle in the nest from a distance
NIKON D780 Ver.01.00 /200-500mm f/5.6E
500 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 125 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size FX

Seems to me last year, I'd go out to the nest around 5:30 ish and stay for an hour or so.  I could usually get some activity, so depending on how events unravel in the future there will be photos.
Aside from getting distance shots, I wanted to get some definition shots.  I need to test the auto focus between the D780 and 200-500.
And while the Eagles were playing the distance card, I can always count on the Canadians to help out.




Canadian Goose and Reflection
NIKON D780 Ver.01.00/200-500mm f/5.6E
500 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 280 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size FX

Not exciting, but for being tied to home and not supposed to travel with friends you have to take what you can get.
And the AF combo passed the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment