Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Sunrise Jogger on the Beach

To no one's surprise, time to go digging through the archives.  Lot's of time at home.  A disturbance in new subjects to add to the inventory.  To that end, I've been down memory lane, while I still have a working memory.  What I find going forward will be more story than photograph.  I am adaptable, if nothing else.
Members of my extended family had a tradition for years of traveling to South Carolina for a family vacation.  I was always invited, but I'm not much of a hot weather person.  South Carolina in August.  Hot, Muggy.  I did call their bluff once, I did accept the invitation in 2012.
The summer trip was a three pronged venture for me.  At the time, my in-laws were close by and I have a number of military friends in the area as well.  Short story, home run.  Hit all the boxes, touched all the bases.  Family and friends time.  Feels like it was just a few years ago.
I will spare everyone pictures of my family.  We're a good looking bunch, but this isn't a family album or Facebook.  The vacation destination was Hilton Head.  With a beach.  And I'm pretty much beach-phobic.  Sand and sand where it shouldn't be.  I'll stop there.
But the beach is a wonderful place to improve one's photographic skills.  And this is my attempt to take an interesting beach photo.
I was thinking about this photo for a few hours prior to going to the beach in the dark.  I took about 40 shots in the same local.  Very few turned out, but that was expected.  Lots of experimentation and changing light conditions.  Just hoping one shot would intersect both at the same time.
In 2012 I was shooting with the D90.  Wonderful camera for the time.  It was smarter than the user.
I wanted to get early morning beach activity.  In central Michigan, we don't get these sunrise colors.  I wanted sun colors, a cloud layer and some interesting water.  Not much to ask for?
Fortunately for me in this roughly twenty minute time period, there was lots of activity between the camera and the sun.




Sunrise Jogger on the Beach
NIKON D90/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
18 mm, 1/10 sec, f/3.5, ISO 400
Aperture Priority, Size DX

One of the few times I've set up a tri-pod, and it shows.  The trouble I had was sometimes I'd get a walker and the motion just wasn't right, too solid.  Sometimes the runner would be too ghosty, if that is a term.  One shot the water was nice with motion but the shutter was so slow, the subject was not visible.  I was able to make it out for two mornings.  The second morning was no cloud cover.  I didn't handle the sun well.  Learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment