Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Thunderbird Center Cross

It is an odd time.  No new photos come in.  The closest to new photos I'll get might be some Eagle shots from the park.  If the weather will cooperate.  Eventually I'll have to come up with something other than 'old stuff'.
But if the 'old stuff' keeps coming along, who am I to not take it?  
Between looking out of the home office windows and seeing who is not walking around, I revisited this shot.  
This shot is from Reno last September.  Location at the show is everything.  I found that out while at the Traverse City air show earlier in 2019.  Not that the TC air show was bad, far from it.  But in Reno, our seats are very good.  Highest in the stands, start/finish line.  Show center.  Not so much for the TC air show.  
Seriously best shots.  Like this T-Bird formation post.  In that formation, the flight came right at us.  In other formations that follow the runway, all crossing action happens right in front of you.  (If they hit their marks.)
This is almost perfect.  I'd like them both back a few feet, but I'll take it.  For the math, read here.




Thunderbird Center Cross
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
450 mm, 1/2500 sec, f/6.3, ISO 200 (AUTO)
Manual Mode, Size DX

What's interesting about these high speed crossing shots is that even without a camera stuck to the middle of one's face, this instant is gone so quickly.  It's all the missed shots in this sequence, and I remember them all, that help make this special to me.
In another interesting angle to this shot, this required very little cropping.  Almost just enough to center it.  When I try to zoom in as much as I can, I have a low percentage of hits.  And the longer the focal length, the more susceptible to blur the shot is.  And this shot is no different.  But in this pass, my panning with the aircraft in the foreground helped.  Even with the good luck on the shot with my usual post processing workflow the image was sharp enough for posting, but on the screen saver end didn't look as good as it should have.  For most shots, I crop to 1920x1080.  And the resolution is OK.  But on this shot, that format didn't show well.  I had to crop to a 16:9 format.  The end file was about 4X larger.  But on the screen saver, the details really poped out,  Rivets.

No comments:

Post a Comment