Tuesday, October 2, 2018

BUFF - Older is Better

As I log more time above the daises every day, I appreciate the memories archived in my mind even more.  I don't see as many air planes as I used too.  And I don't see as many of the military variety.  So, when I do get a planned chance or even better an unplanned chance, it is always a wonderful trip down memory lane.
I have wonderful memories of watching the BUFFs (B-52) making Okinawa a temporary home when Anderson Field in Guam would evacuate in the face of a typhoon.  The paint scheme was slightly different in the 80s.  There was also more smoke from the engines.  The planes would park on the same side of the base where I worked as "we" were both attached to SAC.  Back then my days would begin with a FOD walk in our area.  When the BUFFs were there, we'd walk right in front and back of these magnificent craft.  Memories.
Something else to that I never lose track of.  With the advancement of computers and aerodynamic studies, this is a 1950s design.  Slide rules.  Draft paper.  Sharp Pencils.  And in the next 50+ years nothing better has come along.  Yea, there are other more modern designs, but this is still a front line asset.
So to the memories, I remember the approaches and take offs from Okinawa.  Lots of smoke.  My plane at the time, KC-135, was a smoker as well.
When I was at the Air Races a few weeks ago, there was a B-52 fly over.  These two shots are from the air plane doing a slow pass dirty, hanging gear and flaps.  The noise was awesome!
On approach, here is the sight - and the smoke.

ISO 800, f8, 1/800 sec, 600 mm

And the overhead pass.

ISO 800, f/8, 1/500 sec, 480 mm

And the noise.  With engine upgrades over the years, it isn't quite the same sound as I remember - but close enough.  Nice time travel for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment