Saturday, October 27, 2018

It's Sunny Somewhere (The D500 initial outing)

I've been home bound the past two weekends, for the real job .  This weekend, the weatherperson responded to my cabin fever by providing a nor'easter on the east coast drenching all my favorite photo haunts.  And it's pretty much peak color weekend.  Thanks Weatherperson.
When life deals you lemons, you change the scenery.  Took me 450 miles, but I found the Michigan sun.
The D500 arrived Friday.  It was not going to stay in the house for very long.  At the very least, I had to see if the focus worked, right?  The QXD card is still in the mail so I had to use an 'old' SD card.  It was landscape shooting, set to 3 PFS.  I was sure there would be no buffer issues.
My favorite area to photograph is east of here, and not really good today.  So I headed west to Benton Harbor and the light at St. Joe's.
Prior to shooting, things I like about the D500.  Uses the same battery as my D7200.  The menus are basically the same, or similar enough I can use it today.  (The book is on the way as well.)  Things I don't like.  The USB connection is different.  (Would have been nice if they were the same.)  Also the question of a remote shutter release.  The D7200 unit is $25.  The D500's - substantially more.  Change is good I tell myself.
So I ran away from the rain today to view a few lighthouses, or lights on the western side of the state.  My first stop was the light on the northern pier of St. Joseph's.
I have many photos of the area in the winter, such as this one from 2015 - st-joseph-light-january-2015 and this one with some nice wave action st-joes-light-and-waves.
Today, upper 40s and a light wind.  I could walk all the way out to the front light.




ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/1600 sec
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6

First test passed.  It works in sunlight with no pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment