Saturday, October 6, 2018

Walking Bridge into Fall

Fall is just around the corner - or maybe here already and the trees in my yard just didn't get the memo yet.  I equate fall to the change of color in the trees.  For mid-Michigan, the turn is generally the second week in October.  And of course, work will interfere with and extended fall foliage trip next weekend, but we'll see what can be worked out.
So this is a photo from the past, 2011.  The camera then was the D90 with the 18-200 lens.
As I look back at my photography history, I've gone through phases of file collection.  By the time I started using the D90, I was all into RAW files, but I would often change back and forth whether or not I would also create a JPG file.
Early on, I'd look at the JPG and use it as a reference to what I had created from the RAW file.  In the end, it turned out I was never happy with the JPG and I quit creating them.  But as I go back through my old files, when I do find a JPG file I'm happy to see it.
So, today as I was looking for a fall themed photo to play with I found this one from 2011 and a corresponding JPG.
From the set of shots that I took this day, I found some old one I'd 'touched up' and it was a bit on the funny side, as they were pretty much all 'grunge' settings from Photomatix.  Ah, the good ol' days.
This is the original JPG from 2011.


ISO 400, f/9, 1/40 sec, 18 mm

I think it is nice fall photo, but needs lots of 'little' tweaks.
First, the close bridge supports need to be straightened,  The 18 mm lens distortion is a bit annoying.  If I can't straighten them, I could crop them out, but I'd like to keep some part of them for framing reference.
I need to do something with the wood bridge.  I'd like some heavy contrast to bring out the grain, but that might not go well with the foliage.  Doable.
I also need to pop the foliage colors a bit.  It's fall, celebrate!
I used ACR to adjust the lens corrections, to straighten the bridge posts and to pop the colors a bit.  I used On One to create a layer mask over the bridge to increase the contrast on the wood and metal.
This is what I cane up with.


And the trees look a bit more upright as well.
Welcome to Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment