Sunday, March 31, 2019

BNSF 5681 (DMRRC)

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  I'd like to find a way to lump Great Lakes Freighters in there as well.  All are large.  All are very powerful.  All are mechanical.  I often wonder if the information outlets that exist today existed in my 'learning' years where my life might have taken me.  I'm fortunate to have had an exposure to automobiles and planes early in life.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my experiences in the large aircraft world.  Could I have done the same on the water or the rails?
Enough musing on a Sunday afternoon.  But it does lead me to do more research on some of the photography subjects.  I tried to find information on the Union Pacific Engine 489, but was not successful.  I was able to find out more about the BNSF 5681.  And yes, there is one in existence working the lines as of March 2018.  
The working BNSF 5681 is a GE AC44CW, built in March of 2004.  The AC44CW model was built between 1993 and 2004.  There were over 2800 engines produced, with 121 going to BNSF.
The 4,400 HP engine was built for standard gauge track.  It weighs in over 425,000 pounds carrying 5,000 gallons of fuel.  It is 73 feet long and 15.5 feet high.
And this one has orange and yellow paint.  Can't be all bad.



At ISO 2000, there was some noise that had to be removed.  Now that I'm getting the hang of it, just have to remember to do this.
With the lights on, I had to go with a -1.0 EV.
At the DMRRC, this was just sitting without much going on around it.



No comments:

Post a Comment