Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Penn Central 6816 - Weathered

This year at the DMRRC model train shoot, there were two trains that I had not seen previously.  One was a US ARMY painted locomotive with cargo cars loaded with Army tanks.
The other engine was 'weathered'.  Weathering model trains is the same as weathering other models, that is the process to make a model a bit more realistic.  A lot of the trains at the DMRRC have various degrees of weathering.  For some reason, the job on the PC 6816 really got to me.  Maybe, because if I were to draw a working train, this would be it.
I had taken this image after I put away all the stacking stuff, meaning this is a single shot.  There's a bit o' bokeh in the background but I can live with it.
The other item of note, I was using manual mode with auto ISO.  In my case, it is live and learn.
The settings:



Look at that ISO - 11,400.  Yikes.
What does an image at ISO 11 - whatever look like at 100%?


Since I very rarely shoot anything over ISO 2000, my experience with removing noise is somewhat limited.  Always a chance to learn.
All of my noise decreasing programs/filters didn't help much with this image.  Most just sharpened the noise, which I think is funny.  I ended up using ACR's noise reduction sliders.  Again, a learning thing.
When I finished that process, I hit it with AI Clear.  Not so much for the noise reduction, but to add just a bit of sharpening back.
And that gave me this:



The noise irritation is gone, and some definition still remains.  I like this a lot.  That is a lot of noise removal.  So the final image is this.



This was a learning adventure.  And it works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment