My photo club field trip to the DMRRC is this week. Time to get ready.
Last year I had new camera, and a new strategy. This year if something goes wrong, I don't have those excuses.
This year I am using new software for my remote tethering. I've been working with it for a few months so that can't be too much of an excuse.
There could be a new and unexpected twist. I'm comfortable with the D7200 and the Helicon Remote software. I haven't worked that much with the D90 and the software, so was down in the dungeon putting that configuration through its paces.
The D90 is not wi-fi capable, so had to use USB cable. Not a big issue. What I did discover is that in some configurations the Remote software will not save to the camera. The table I'm using has about 6 GB of space available - I need to save to the camera or at the very least save to the tablet's external card. If I changed the my thoughts and had all the images sent to the tablet, either USB or wi-fi, that adds a lot of time to the shooting process. I do like the idea of sending a image tot he tablet, only for verification. But i want the RAW image to stay on the camera, both for speed considerations and file size.
Fortunately there is a setting on the Remote software as to what to do with the image(s). This setting will send the JPG image to the tablet and will save the RAW image to the camera. I tested on both the D90 and the D7200 and it worked well. Cuts the stacking process by more than 50%. Huge.
The next change will be I will start off using the 85 mm lens (AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR
85mm f/3.5G ED VR). The lens I used last year, my go to 18-200 did are real nice job. I thought i would use it again. But as i was int he dungeon for a few hours, I decided to see if there was a difference in the lens with respect to clarity. yea, I know. With a prime lens I should always get better clarity. I just didn't know how much. And now I know.
The subject is the underside of a PC disk drive, the circuit board. This looks like a really good subject for focus stacking.
Both shots are 30 shot stacks. For the display, the area that is shown is at 100% magnification. i tried to get as many environmental settings as close as possible. The camera and the subject were not intentionally moved. Both shots were with the D7200. ISO is 100.
The first shot is with the 18-200 lens. The focal length turned out to be 150mm. This is f/6.3 at 1/25 second.
Reality is, this isn't all that bad. (Or so I thought.) I accept the challenges of small sensors and some what limited lenses. Unless I'm going to enlarge this to a wall sized photo, this will look good.
This is the 85mm prime lens. Same speed and f/stop. Same number of photos in the stack.
Based on this information, I will start with the 85mm lens - until it doesn't work.
I will do more prep this week.