Sunday, August 30, 2020

More BMX shots

Last few weeks for the paying job have been long.  Lots of hours.  Big project stuff.
I wanted to head south to Ann Arbor to do a horse event the weekend, but just not feeling it.  Saturday was heavy cloud cover.  Today was much better, but still not feeling it enough for an hour drive.  Each way.
So, I went to the BMX races less than 5 minutes from the house.  That I could do.
Nice day out in the sun.
Today's event was not large.  Wasn't very crowded.  But everyone has fun.
I won't get into the popular debate these days of whether or not the National Anthem should be played before events.  I'm old enough that every competitive event I've been to has always started with the National Anthem.  I'm OK with it.  That will not change, for me.
For the BMX races, the Anthem is played while racers can opt to do a lap with an American Flag.  How cool is that?  I think the younger racers really like this.
The Flag lap.




The Flag Lap
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8
75 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 180 (AUTO)
EV +0.33, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

This is the first outing with the new 27-70 on the D500.  In the end, I didn't use this combo very long.  It worked in this case because I was right along the track.  But the max reach of 100 mm doesn't work many other places.  The best combo seems to be the D780 and the 70-300.
This time out I staked out a new location.  There are three major turns in the race.  I was going to stake out the exit of the last turn.  Not always the best for sun angle.  But with today's overcast it was livable.
There is good action in this turn.  It is a good chance to get more than one rider in a shot that is not straight on.  The issue can be that since this is the third turn, the field of racers has expanded.  Like in air racing, the front end is often decided by the half way point.  But the action for other positions can be more interesting.
This is the type of shot I like, three subjects in the frame.  I like that with aircraft, I like that with cyclists.





Stars and Bars Turn
NIKON D780 Ver.01.01/70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
155 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 320 (AUTO)
EV +1.0, MANUAL Mode, Size 16:9

These two were in a higher age bracket.  It was fun to watch them through the race, thinking they might be close when they came to the last turn.  No disappointment.




Two Exiting the Turn
NIKON D780 Ver.01.01/70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
155 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 320 (AUTO)
EV +1.0, MANUAL Mode, Size 16:9

And no trip to the park is complete without some air.  And some hair.  This is from a different angle, but not bad.  Wouldn't be a bad position with the monster lens.




Air and Hair
NIKON D780 Ver.01.01/70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
300 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1000 (AUTO)
EV +1.0, MANUAL Mode, Size 16:9

Good day to be out and about.

No comments:

Post a Comment