Friday, April 2, 2021

Nikon, DSLR and Old Age

The photography interest for me started a long time ago.  My maternal grandfather took numerous photos on many world trips, either business or pleasure.  His chosen field was chemical engineering.  As I understand it, he did some of the developing himself.  My father was also somewhat of a photo bug as well.  Call it destiny.  The journey to Nikon had a much less formidable start.  I remember my dad showing me a Nikon camera he had just purchased in the 60's.  Devil made me do it, he said.  Boom, hooked.  In the early 80's, while stationed at Kadena AB I purchased a Minolta XG-1.  I was mesmerized for the 'on board' computing that gave a visual indication of the selected settings and if your exposure was correct.  And I bought the 'speed winder', a device that would automatically advance the film after a shot was taken.  The sound was hypnotic.  Three frames in two seconds.  Press the button just to hear it.
Move to the 90's, a job that provided some disposable income and need of a hobby.  The digital photography age was starting.  Bought the D80 from an appliance store.  And the digital journey started.  With no knowledge.
The decision to stay with Nikon was easy.  Top quality glass and an easy transition from the D80 to the D90, to the D7200, to the D500 and D850.  In the period starting between the D7200 and D500, started acquiring 'better' glass.  Not professional level, but better than kit.
I have a lot invested with Nikon.  To change lanes now would be a financial loss to a hobby that generates zero dollars.
Why would I think of changing lanes?  I have my dream kit.  But if someone who was just starting out would ask me what to look at or get, my answer would probably be "Not Nikon".
The answer has nothing to do with design or quality.  The answer mostly has to do with the direction of Nikon, the corporation.  
Photography, as it was ten years ago faces tremendous pressure from cell phones.  Although higher end DSLRs can produce technically much better images, who can tell the difference between a really good photo and a stunningly great photo?  Along with the cameras going digital, the presentation medium moved from print to LCDs.  I think this also favored the growth of the cell phone photography as well.
The DSLR design is changing as well.  The DSLR design came from the film SLRs.  With micro technology, it was inevitable that all that internal glass would just get in the way.  Mirrorless was on the way.
Nikon seems to have missed reading the mirrorless trend.  Nikon is now moving in the mirrorless direction with new camera models every 12-18 months.  There are 5 to 7 new Z mount lenses released every year.  Nothing on the F mount front.  But Nikon is in the also ran category for mirrorless now. As Nikon has lost DSLR market share over the last 10 years, the new announced direction is to focus more on the professional level gear.  To me, that is short term thinking.  You're not going to get a loyal following by forgoing a 'learning' or entry platform.  I could not in good conscious tell someone looking to learn photography to begin with Canon and then switch to Nikon when you go pro.
The recent news that Nikon was paring down its warranty is not good and has not been received by the Nikon nation as favorable.  I am fortunate, so far, to have never needed the services of Nikon repair/warranty.  But looking forward, that just isn't a good business sign.  I read today where a Nikon protest in Japan is scheduled at their HQ this year by international users.  That's not a good business plan.
So, where does my relationship with Nikon go from here?  Status quo.  My goal for the photography hobby was to have the dream kit built by the time I retire.  Retirement is not that far away.  Mission accomplished.  Unless I win the lottery, there isn't the time to sell the current inventory, at a loss, and go in another direction.  I like the way things are now.  I like the DSLR.  Spare me the arguments about how much better the mirrorless model is.  You might be right.  People still drive old muscle cars as well.  But I would never suggest to start there.

No comments:

Post a Comment