Tuesday, September 21, 2021

V-22 Osprey at the Air Races

I have not witnessed a V22 Osprey up close.  I thought I would see one in 2019 when I was at the MCAS Beaufort Air Show and there was a Marine Air-Ground Task Force show.  No luck.  I have seen the aircraft from afar.  And I remember the not so favorable press from many years ago.
That was a long time ago.  Seems the airframe is now very stable and a dependable part of the Marine Corps Air these days.
When I saw the Osprey Demo Team would be at the 2021 National Air Races, I was very happy.  The Osprey was developed in the late 80's with full production finally starting in 2005.  The Osprey was designed to fill a need for a new type of aircraft, that could not only take off and land vertically but also could carry combat troops, and do so at speed.
The V-22 Osprey uses 2-speed rotors, a 412 RPM for helicopter mode and for conversion to airplane mode and 333 RPM when the rotors are locked in propeller mode for forward flight.  A T-6 prop goes at 2250 RPM, and that is tough to catch at 1/80th shutter speed.  333 RPM would be very tough.  And it was.  And if was easy, everyone would have great photos.
I experimented with shutter speeds from 1/40th second to 1/120th.  I eventually settled on 1/80th, mostly because that is what I was using for the T-6s.  I was familiar with the light settings.  Go with what you know.
For the first two shots, I used the D500 and 70-200 lens.  The action was pretty close and the subject was relatively large, so I could get away with it.  For the last shot, I used the D850 and the 70-200.  I could almost get away with it, but I used Giga-Pixel to to help me out.
This first shot is the Osprey transitioning from a hover to level flight.


Osprey Flight Transition
NIKON D500 Ver.1.30/NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED)
300 mm, 1/80th sec, f/20, ISO 125 (AUTO)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

The Auto ISO is a mistake on my part.  For the most part, I used a fixed ISO at each camera's base setting.  Not sure what I was thinking at this point of time.  The D500's base ISO is 100, so at 125 I was close.
This next shot is the Osprey in level flight.


Osprey Level Flight
NIKON D500 Ver.1.30/NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED)
300 mm, 1/80th sec, f/18, ISO 100
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

For Sunday, the last day of the Air Races, I had all the photos I really needed.  So, to change things up a bit, I put the 70-200 on the D850.  Playtime and experiment.  That really shortens up the reach, but I have software for that.  this shot was done with a little help from Gigapixel.


Osprey Level Flight
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20/NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED)
70 mm, 1/100th sec, f/14, ISO 100
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

This was a bit on the challenging side.  I had about a 33% hit rate.  Slightly better than the T-6s.  It's all about knowing your subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment