Friday, June 3, 2022

TBM at Dover

Too late in life have I discovered the value of History.  For me, its military aviation.  With a special interest in WWII aircraft.  So much innovation in such a short time.  Crappy way for R&D to be conducted but you do what you have to do.  And no computers, slide rules only.  If you don't know what a slide rule is, Google it.
When I go the airshows, I'm always looking at the static and airshow performers.  When I get to see a "new" for me aircraft, there is another purpose to going.
I saw my first TBM at the Reno Air Races.  It didn't move, just a static display.  However, a great start.  My first impression was it was larger than I expected.  I saw it parked with it's wings folded, like it was on a carrier deck.
The TBM entered the inventory as a torpedo-bomber in 1942 and saw it's first action in the Battle of Midway.  In total, just under 10,000 were built by Grumman and under license by General Motors.  The TBM carried a crew of three and a bombload of 2,000 pounds.  It had a range of 1,000 miles and had a ceiling of 30,000 ft.
Oh, those 1940s numbers.
The TBM has some famous history.  G.H.W.Bush '41 was a pilot.  Paul Newman was a rear gunner.  And for infamous history, 5 TBMs were lost in the Bermuda Triangle, known as Flight 19.
Interesting history is everywhere.
When I saw a TBM was scheduled to perform, not static, I was even more happy to get to Dover.  The primary reason was always to see FRED fly, but the TBM is a bonus.
And a bonus it was.  I got to hear the twin-row Wright R-2600-20 Twin Cyclone fourteen-cylinder radial engine fire up, blow smoke and just make the low rumbling, vibrating disturbance in the air. 
And I did see it move.  Just awesome.  Not that I did any time travel to the past, but it was close enough.


TBM on Dover Ramp
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31/Nikkor 24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8
72 mm, 1/500 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100
EV 0, Shutter Priority, Size DX


TBM Inflight at Dover
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31/Nikkor 80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
600 mm, 1/250 sec, f/13, ISO 100
EV 0, Shutter Priority, Size DX


TBM Touchdown at Dover
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31/Nikkor 80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
405 mm, 1/250 sec, f/11, ISO 100
EV 0, Shutter Priority, Size DX

Shooting at 1/250th is a bit fast for WWII aircraft, but I have a better chance of getting keepers.  And as I don't have any other shots I'll take it.  Next time, 1/100 sec.
Another ol' Warbird off the list.  Next up, a T-33 Shooting Star at the Wild Wednesday Air Show at Willow Run.  On Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment