Wednesday, November 13, 2019

WNCNC - Bobcat

On the two days I visited the Western North Carolina Nature Center, I made three rounds of the area each day.  I arrived as early as I could, opening time is 10:00 AM.  Number #1 through the gate.  It was either morning feeding time, or close to it.  By the time I'd finish up around 1:00 PM, it was generally nap time for the inhabitants.  It usually worked out that those who were 'slow' on my first round were generally more 'awake'  in round two.  Round three was for those who didn't get the memo that there were visitors at the gate.
There was one exception.  The Bobcat.  Missy.  Missy the Bobcat loves to nap, and nap in the sun.  In five of the six rounds, Missy was napping.  Only once did Missy see me.
Bobcats in the wild are very rarely seen.  You're on their ground.  If you see them in the wild, it might not be a good thing.  Bobcats are predators.  Its appetite covers small things and large things.  Excellent night vision.  My only survival defense is that I might not be fast enough to even get on its radar.
But it certainly is a cat, and I like cats.  Missy is cute, by my standards.  And like my cats, she has the 'stare'.  Missy is bred in captivity, but her DNA identified me as 'food'.



Bobcat Looking at Me
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
232 mm, 1/400 sec, f/6.3, ISO 1000 (AUTO)
EV +2, Manual Mode, Size DX

I recognize that look.  Even with my cats at 8 pounds, this might not end well.

And I recognize this look.  All is well with kitty dreams.




Bobcat Napping
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
262 mm, 1/400 sec, f/6.3, ISO 1000 (AUTO)
EV +1, Manual Mode, Size DX

No comments:

Post a Comment