Monday, November 11, 2019

WNCNC - Gray Wolves

There are times when I think I was born too early.  I mean technology is growing exponentially every day.  I love technology.  And then I think I might have been born too late.  Living in the history that I've learned.  What would it be like to be among the first to see the Rockies?  Who am I kidding, I was born at the right time.
These gray wolves were probably born too late.  Wolves need a good PR firm to change their image.  Maybe then they could survive.  Wolves are high on the food chain who have been pushed out of their territories by no fault of their own.  They fight back as they can.  And its not good for them.  And they are not alone in their fight to survive.  I won't debate the right and wrong of either side - it just is.
That aside, the wolves who are residents at the WNCNC were fun to spend a few hours with.  Graceful animals in the walk.  Probably wouldn't say that if one were chasing me me for dinner.  But in my eyes, beautiful animals.
As I approached the wolf area, there is a blocked off from view part of the fence and he first you see of the area is from an enclosed viewing area.  Simply, some clear plastic in nice housing.  When I approached this area, this is my sight.  Wow.  He was right there.  Less than four feet away from me, separated by plastic.  In the wild, this probably would have been terminal.  For me.  Here, I got the first shot.  (Lucky for me, no odd reflections in the plastic.)  Love the eyes.




Gray Wolf Eyes On
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
105 mm, 1/400 sec, f/6.3, ISO 1000 (AUTO)
EV +2, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

I think the pen for the wolves is pretty good size.  Easy for me to say, I'm not penned in.  That not withstanding, there are a few protective sheds for the wolves.  On one of my passes by, this gray one was on top of a shed, resting.   Resting with eyes open.  As the wolf was born in captivity, it has no memory of running wild.  Unless it hears it's DNA calling.  I hope not, would be awful.  I hope it just hears the birds above.
This shot is cropped pretty severely.  The issue was a red leaf on the hind quarter.  The red leaf was about half way between the wolf and me.  And the light bend was enough to make it look like not a leaf, but some bad coloring on the fur.  Didn't really like it.  And it is an excuse to make the eyes larger.




Gray Wolf On the Shed
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
330 mm, 1/400 sec, f/6.3, ISO 1000 (AUTO)
EV +1, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

Beautiful animals.  As long as I'm not on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment