Monday, March 9, 2020

Sunday Morning Walk on Mt. Washington - Pittsburgh Skyline

Call me a Homer.  I think Pittsburgh's skyline is very underrated when it comes to national skyline publicity.  Few cities have an observation like Mt. Washington.  Add the two together, you can get some very nice shots.
Back in the day, the mid-60s, my grandparents had an apartment on Grandview Avenue.  My sister and I would spend many hours watching the coal movement on the Monongahela River.  Yes, some days had limited vision due to the steel mills.  In the sunlight, it was sort of a yellowish haze.  And on some days, it was as clear as it was this morning.
On Sunday, my sister and I returned to the scene where we walked many years ago.  The day was perfect.  Pittsburgh blue sky, no clouds.  I must be living right, because there was a 'barge' heading down river to the Ohio.  In my memory, the barges pushed by the tugs seemed to be longer, maybe eight long by two wide.  Matters not today, this was an awesome trip down memory lane.
The skyline is not as I would remember it.  Back in the day, the Gulf building and the Koppers building were it.  it was a big deal when USS Steel built the building that now in monikered by UPMC.
Photographically, was out still testing the D780.  I have a few panorama sets to work.  This is a single shot.  I used a 50 mm prime lens.  I'd like to work more with the primes when I can.  Would have been nice to have more power when the barge went by.  Guess I have to go back for more tries.
The Pittsburgh Skyline from Mt. Washington.




Pittsburgh Skyline - Blue Sky
NIKON D780 Ver.01.00/50mm f/1.8G
50mm, 1/640 Sec, f/8, ISO 110 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size 16:9

1 comment: