Sunday, March 1, 2020

The AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR

Over the last two years, most of my shots have been cropped to some degree.  Most, more than I'd like.  The big lens, for me in the current kit is the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR.  Great lens for the money.  Needs some light to work right, but for outdoor it is very good.  When matched with the D500, aggressive crops are possible.  But in the photographic journey, it can be better.
So the 200 - 500.  Better for the birds, for sure.  Better for the air shows, probably.  Better for the horses, well probably not so much.  From the limited time out, it is a strong lens.
Also from the limited time out, it is the heaviest 5 pounds.  I was thinking by 4:00 PM on an air show afternoon, it might be too heavy.  Now, it might be 3:00 PM.  I've inherited a very sturdy Bogen tri-pod that was used for 80's video equipment.  And it's heavy, sturdy.  I'm looking for a gimbal head for the lens to attach to.  Yes, it will be bulky.  But it will work.
So, back to the heavy part.  On my day trip out, February on Michigan's west coast there wasn't much flying action that I found.  However, I can always count on a sea gull to show off when the others are grounded.
This is is the RAW file with no edits other than an aggressive crop.  It's going to take a few more trips out to the size right.  This was at 320 mm, 480 with the crop factor.  So there was room to get tighter, I just didn't get to it.



Under intense scrutiny, it is pretty good.


This is the north marker at South Haven.




Again, no sharpening edits.  I'm looking at the ice on the rails at the base of the marker.  Pretty good definition.  Clearly something to work with.


So, bring on the air show season and some warmer weather for the birding season.

No comments:

Post a Comment