Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Great Egret - Walk this Way

My first year at the Refuge, I took more photos of Egrets than I know what to do with.  Elegant bird for sure.  Big, slow, nice yellow eyes.  And not real skiddish in front of the camera.
As a photographer, what's not to like?  As a white subject in sunlight, or even cloudy, it is very easy on the camera for metering purposes.  
Last year, I didn't take that many photos.  I had many from the year before.  So, unless something interesting happened.....
After the storm passed through, many birds were stationary in the trees.  Although I have seen Egrets in the trees before, at this visit there were more in the trees than usual.
As there were no cars behind me, I could watch a few birds in the trees for a few minutes.  I saw this one bird, a bit anti-social away from a group.  As I watched, it started to 'walk' along the branch.  I thought a transition to flight was imminent.  All I could think of was any versions "Walk this Way".




Walk this Way
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
585 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 250 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

One of the other 'action' shots of the Egret was a take off.  I had watched this one 'land' and it did appear to be on the restless side.  Just be a little patient.
I had the camera set for 5 FPS.  If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with 7 FPS.  But I got what I got.
I liked this shot because the colors stood out.  The storm was recent, the ground was wet and the sunlight was cracking the clouds.  Different.




Take Off
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
690 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 125 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

Not bad for shooting out of the truck window.

No comments:

Post a Comment