Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Neowise Comet Chase

The Neowise Comet has been in the news for a few weeks.  I haven't been interested in nighttime photography past dusk in my journey.  No noise, no wing flapping, no action, no interest.
For some reason C became interested - ergo I became either willingly or unwillingly interested.
So starts the web research.
Best camera, full frame.  Check - I can do that.  I'm looking at single frame rates so no need for the D500, the D780 will do nicely.
Best lens, something in the f/2.8 or higher range.  Check, I can do that.  The new 24-70 f/2.8 will do.  I somewhat question this on the mm size as I'd think a higher reach would be better, but the web never lies, correct?
Other equipment, tri-pod and cable release.  I 'inherited' a solid Bogen a few years ago.  The original use was for an early vintage video camera, ie; heavy.  This is a beast.  I don't use it often because it is not easy to carry.  But that is not a concern for this event, I'm carrying it only from the truck rear seat to the back of the truck.  Check.  As to the cable release, I was going to go high tech.  I was going to use Nikon's wireless remote camera software, Snapbridge.  I've not been a fan of this product in the past.  Nikon is a camera and lens company, not a wireless network and software provider.  And in my experience, it was difficult to set up and not dependable.  However over time, it seems the software and newer camera models have resolved these issues to my satisfaction.  I was able to get the camera and tablet connected five out of five times in the home testing center.  Good to go.
And the right night came yesterday.  Clear skies.
Again, armed with web information most of the pages I read suggested for starting at f/2.8, gong to 20 seconds and adjust the ISO as necessary.  So the plan was set.
I found a place just north of us that should be good.  Middle of farm land, where I thought the light pollution would be as low as I could get.  I wasn't expecting dark park conditions, and in that I wasn't disappointed.
We arrived at the point at sunset.  And promptly found out that the ambient light we needed was still 30 minutes away.  At least it was warm.
During our wait, we heard an almost car crash.  We were asked a few times if we had broken down.  And we had some distant star gazing company.  It's all good.
All went pretty well.  The only issue we had was the remote release.  The Snapbridge software connected to the camera OK, except it would not release the shutter.  Dambit.  I think what happened is the camera has an internal protection function that will not allow a photo if it is too far under or over exposed.  But the shutter would release manually, and that is what I had to do.
In the end, I think the Photo Gods smiled on me.  Out of 21 shots, 3 were keepers.  I kept a few for forensic information.  This is the best of the three.




Neowise Comet
NIKON D780 Ver.01.01/24-70mm f/2.8
70 mm, 20 sec, f/2.8, ISO 800
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size FX

To be be fair, the first time we saw the comet tail on the tablet I was very happy.  C was happy as well.  Sort of like the first good prop shot.  (Not sure happy enough to OK the next lens purchase, but it is a start.)  
This certainly won't win any prizes.  Lots of good comet photos out there.  But One of my favorites already just for the story and the reading to get this far.  
I also know that many of the other published photos were done with special software and equipment.  For just Photoshop and my stuff, a first try I'm happy with.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got this good shot, Kurt! You persevered and it paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The adventure was fun. And was fun to get C involved. She's not so much for the airplanes and horses. The stars, she's OK with.

    ReplyDelete