Sunday, September 13, 2020

Seven Lakes Park Sandhill Cranes

 I often see Sandhill Cranes when I go to the Refuge.  Not all the time - but a lot of the time.  I don't know a lot about them, other than they can be LOUD.  With a nasal call that came out of Jurassic Park casting.  
I found myself at the Seven Lakes Park in Holly, and this was not expected.  
I need to get out more.  I was focused of the subject of my afternoon, and almost missed this opportunity.
There was/is a pair of Cranes that occupied the part of the park where I was.  They were always within sight, clearly not too afraid of other bi-peds.


After a while, I could hear the airborne announcement of incoming Cranes.  From this I could tell who was squawking.


These birds were not more than 30 feet above me, and when that happens you are just keeping your finger close to t \he shutter release and hoping for the best.  Hope you have a good AF lock - and you won't miss the shot.


And in the spirit of I wish, I wish this was head on.  But it isn't.  The bent wing span doesn't have any angles.  Almost stealth in design.


I also have a few shots of an Osprey that wandered around.  I hadn't seen one in the Refuge all year.  And there were at least two in this park.  They didn't come as close to the area where I was, just an overflight.

No comments:

Post a Comment