Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Daycation - Mackinaw City

One of my favorite things to do when I can get some time off from the paying job is driving to Mackinaw City.  235 miles in my cocoon.  One way.  Listen to a good book.

Today's weather was perfect.  Low 70s, slight cool lake breeze.  Truth be told, got a bit of a burn going on as well.  Probably should have donned a hat.  It was good to see the city somewhat recovering.  There are a number of store fronts that didn't make it through the year.  But the people were there today.  Good for a mid-week day.  Lots of ferries taking people back and forth to the island.  Good to see.

One of the attractions to see is the Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw.  USCGC Mackinaw (WAGB-83) patrolled the Great Lakes from 1943 to 2006.  Patrolling including ice breaking.  Hull is 4 inches thick steel.  The ship is now a living museum.  I had taken the tour a few years ago.  And I went in today.  Lots of progress in the museum over the years.  Again, good to see.

So I had the D850 matched with the 24-70 lens for my walk around.  Because I was around water I was using a polarizer as well.  And that would come in handy, more later.   

The 290 foot long USCGC Mackinaw:

USCGC Mackinaw
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20/NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
70 mm, 1/500 sec, f/5.6, ISO 64
EV +1, MANUAL Mode, Size FX

During the tour, one gets to go through the engine room.  Ah, the smell.  Took me back to the maintenance days before the paying job.  A vacation within a daycation.

Also during the tour, you get to pass by the ships bell.  As an ignorant landlubber, I don't think much of a ship's bell.  But thanks to the Discovery Channel and the like, many are rescued/replaced when a sunk vessel can't be raised.  So at least I can recognize one when I see it.  And I saw the Mackinaw's bell.  It wasn't easy to photograph.  Can't get very close to it.  And the silver was definitely reflecting the sun.  Thankfully, the polarizer seemed to take care of the sun's reflection.  I had to crop this pretty tight due to some unwanted objects close by.

USCGC Mackinaw Ship's Bell
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20/NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
70 mm, 1/500 sec, f/5.6, ISO 64
EV +1, MANUAL Mode, Size FX

I was a great day to just get out and about.  And I'm happy a lot of people joined me.

No comments:

Post a Comment