Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Infamy - Thoughts and Shots

It is hard to believe that 80 years ago, the war to end all wars was started.  I was not around, or even thought of, in that era and will not pass judgement on what happened or the response.  If those who were involved can find a way to live with what happened, I can.  It is strange that over the years, our enemies of the time have become our allies today and some of our allies at the time have seen it necessary to part ways with us today.
But what I take away from what I've been told about the time is the term 'greatest generation'.  What a shame it will be when the last are gone - and those with second-hand knowledge pass as well.  The further away we get from the era, the more likely is that history will fade and become blurred.  I think of the scene in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome where Max is 'rescued' by a band of feral kids and they recall what they know of history.  Maybe not be too far from the truth in the future.
I digress.  
I'm also about the air power that evolved during the conflict.  To survive, the process of design, production and creation had to be shortened.  Just about every aircraft had a modification in design in development when it rolled off the assembly line.  I think about all the change control I have in my paying job today.  I often joke about R&D in the field these days.  But in the early 40's, people lost their lives in aircraft crashes because of this accelerated practice.  But airpower was created and used and was a big part of final victory.
Again, I digress.
One of my favorite activities during an airshow is the Heritage Flight.  A Heritage Flight is a formation or two or more aircraft from different generations.  I have posted Heritage photos before:  Wings Over Northern Michigan Thunder Over Michigan (USN) Thunder Over Michigan (AF)  
Any flight formation of WWII aircraft will get my attention.  When I get out to Reno for the races, that seems to be the heart of aircraft restoration operations.  One of the groups that shows up is the Commemorative Air Force, Southern California Wing.  
The aircraft in these shots are a North American PBJ Mitchell, Grumman F6F Hellcat, Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat and a Mitsubishi A6M3 Zero.
Technically, no some of my better shots, but the memory of seeing the aircraft in flight makes the post worthwhile.




Radial piston engines with straight pipes, the sound of Music to me.
Honors to the Greatest Generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment