Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Getting back to Normal - JB Charleston Air Expo

Joint Base Charleston (SC) held its Air Expo for 2022 last weekend.  I've been looking forward to this for a long time.
This year's lineup was impressive.  Heavy on the military air power stuff and a bit light on the aerobatic stuff.  My kind of show.  The static displays did not disappoint.  The static highlight for me was the C5M.  And for bonus points, the aircraft was out of Dover and flown by the 9th.  My old squadron.  Great to have time to chat with the younger generation.  The Pelican tradition continues.  Would have liked to see it fly, but that was not in the cards this day.  (I'll get to see that in May!)  Other static displays were a C-130 Gunship, F35, F15, KC46, C27.  Flying in the Expo was headlined with the Blue Angels and Fat Albert.  Other flyers of note was a MiG 17, de Havilland Vampire, FW-190 Focke Wulf and the F16 Viper Demo Team.
And more importantly, I was in South Carolina in April.  Deep warmth.
Between the phone and cameras, I took around 1450 photos.  I did use the phone on location more than I had ever done before.  My primary setup was the D500 and 70-300.  So for close up shots,  I used the phone.  I did use the D850 and 70-200/f2.8 for a couple of shots.  More on those later, but that combo produces some very fine shots.  The 200 lens is just too short to be practical at a show for flight photos.  But on Friday, I was able to use it effectively and will post the shots and why I could use that combo in that situation.
Today's goal was to cull all the shots to around 100.  I've gone though about 80%.  The last 20% always takes a few days.
But to get started, air shows always incorporate the National Anthem.  The Anthem may not be the first act, but it will be done.  In this weekend's show, as JBC is home to the C-17 Globemaster III it is only fitting that the flag be delivered out of the back end of one of these aircraft.  The delivery was done by the Black Dagger parachute team.


Black Dagger Entrance
NIKON D500 Ver.1.30/NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR
105 mm, 1/200 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100
EV +1, Speed Priority, Size DX, ND9

I worked the ND9 filter over the weekend when the sun and aircraft favored it.  I was expecting a C-47 shot right after this, and the ND was part of the set up for the day.
It was a great weekend.  Back in my elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment