Monday, April 25, 2022

The Heritage Flight Conundrum

My favorite fly-bys at an airshow are the Heritage Flights.  The intent of the Heritage Flight is to present the evolution of military air power by flying today's state-of-the-art fighter aircraft in close formation with vintage fighter aircraft.
There are so many levels for these events for me.  As a military aircraft enthusiast, I enjoy the the piston engine versus the jet engine noise.  I enjoy the difference in Engineering and Design.
On the other side, as for photography you have to shoot the lowest speed.  Not so enjoyable.
Usually there is a jet flying with a prop driven aircraft.  But not always.  I have this shot of a E/A18G Growler and an A4 Skyhawk from Wings over Northern Michigan in 2019.
But the majority of the time, I'm looking at 1/200 sec shutter speed or slower to capture what realistically could be a shot of a lifetime.  No pressure.
In Charleston, the Heritage Flight was a C-47 Skytrain and a C-17 Globemaster III.  In previous Heritage Flights, the two aircraft appear in a 'banana pass' in front of the crowd.  In Charleston, they added an overhead pass.  In order to line up for the overhead pass, an interesting formation appeared.  This formation is unscripted.  And a bit far away.  But has to be captured.
On Saturday I shot at 1/1250 sec.  I knew the prop would freeze, but I'd be back on Sunday.  I'd rather have an 80% shot over having nothing.  On Sunday, I shot at 1/200 sec at a long distance.  That shot came out surprising good.  It won't win any prizes and looks OK on a small screen.  It does leave lots of room for improvement - JB Charleston 2024.

Saturday's Shot:

Heritage Flight - C47 and C17
NIKON D500 Ver.1.30/NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR
450 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100
EV 0, SHUTTER Priority, Size DX

Sunday's Shot

Heritage Flight - C47 and C17
NIKON D500 Ver.1.30/NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR
450 mm, 1/200 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100
EV +1, SHUTTER Priority, Size DX

In both cases, the more interesting shot was far away.  As the aircraft came nearer, the line up wasn't as interesting to me.  Saturday's shot, with the clouds and the aircraft in different lines is my favorite of the two.  Damn frozen prop.

No comments:

Post a Comment