Sunday, April 17, 2022

Let the Drone games begin

For the last few months I've had my head in the drone games.  Or the personal drone game.
First, there is researching what drone to get.  And then there is the legal aspect to learn.
As to what drone to get, there were a few months of research.  For my purposes, this is an extension camera.  Yes, the flying will be fun, but for now the primary purpose is photography.  The requirements was a one inch sensor with a mechanical aperture.  For the time being, at the entry level I was looking at was the DJI Mavic 3 and the Autel Lite.  Both are new models this year.  Enter YouTube.  Lots of YouTube reviews.  DJI is clearly the biggest elephant in the market.  But the Mavic 3 has two strikes against it.  First, it is roughly $1k more than the Autel.  Second, there is a growing problem with the GPS.  DJI says the problem can be fixed with a software/firmware update but after 90 days of knowing the issue, the resolution is not forthcoming.  I've read other people's thoughts to the issue and if true, the problem will only be resolved with a drone replacement.  A GPS if fundamental to a drone's flight characteristics and if compromised can lead to uncommanded events.  Not going to toy with that at all.
So the Autel it is.
Legally, there is a chance I will use the drone in a commercial venture, ie: going to make money from the photography.  Drones fit two categories, hobby and commercial.  For commercial, I had to pass a FAA knowledge test to get what is commonly referred to as a Part 107 Certificate.  I passed the test in late March.
Today I logged my first hour with the Autel.  It was great.  I just flew it around the house, lots of straight line flights.  No photography.  Just flight drills.  Lots of take offs and landings.
Next stop, a larger field.
Fun first steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment