Thursday, April 21, 2022

STOL - Draco

A friend of mine has told me to never toss away any shots.  I asked, "Even the blurry ones?"  Even the blurry ones.  Well, I have to draw the line somewhere.  But I do get his point.
Who knew that a few shots I had taken in 2019 would come into conversation today?  I posted a few STOL shots on the Ugly Hedgehog last night.  And someone asked, What - no Draco?
As STOL aircraft go, Draco might be the most famous.  In a world where aircraft need to be lighter and more agile, Draco is was beast.
But alas, Draco is no more.  A slight mishap caused by pilot error did it in.  The pilot walked away.  His YouTube is one of the best I've ever seen dealing with decision making in discussing his decision to take off in unsafe conditions.  You can apply his lesson to many walks of life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfctWAoDXvs
I never saw Draco fly - or race.  But the aircraft was on display, static display, at the 2019 National Air Races.  I got a few shots in one morning.


Draco - Full On
NIKON D7200 Ver.1.04/DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G
24 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/11, ISO 360
EV -1, MANUAL Mode, Size DX


Draco - Close Up
NIKON D7200 Ver.1.04/DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G
32 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/8, ISO 180
EV -1, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

I like revisiting some of the older shots.  In 2019, I had the D500 for the action shots, and the D7200 for the close ups.  And who knows what I was thinking then with those crazy, unnecessary ISOs.
This is a journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment