Wednesday, April 27, 2022

The First KEH Transaction

The Heritage Flight Conundrum led to my first acquisition of a used piece of camera equipment.  Specifically a 80-400 lens.  A new Nikon edition goes for $2300.
The 200-500 is a great lens.  But.  It's 5 pounds to sling around.  It's a bit bulky to handle.  I could have used it in Charleston, only if I could put it down on occasion.  And it might be intimidating to the security folks.  The lens I used on the D500, 70-300 is OK.  Nice and light but I still end up cropping too much.  Could have used just a little extra reach on the C47/C17 Heritage Flight.  
Enter the 80-400.  On the D500, it will give me an effective 600 mm reach.  And it comes in at 3.5 pounds.  After 3 hours in the sun, that 1.5 pound savings will be a lot.
The 200-500 is a fixed f/5.6 where as the 80-400 is a f/4.5-5.6, so no real winners there.
Even though the 200-500 is sold as a hand hold-able lens, my best shots seem to have one common element, a monopod.  The 80-400 is made to be hand hold-able.
I did some research on KEH, mostly through threads on UHH.  No real negative complaints.  And so far I don't have any.  I bought a lens that was graded very highly.  When I looked at it today, no blemishes at all.  I took it out to the Park for a few test shots.  No cracks on an inner lens.  But all my shots were static.  I'll take it out to a nature refuge this weekend.  If I can, I work in on both the D500 and D850.
So far the transaction with KEH was great.  Let's see if the lens can match.

No comments:

Post a Comment