Monday, August 6, 2018

Summer.....

This summer has been awful trying to free up some time to do anything but the paying activity.  I've been off-roading once - and I had to take vacation days to do that.
But the work hump will be over shortly and time to get back into a real life.
On the photography front, I have a trip to Reno coming up in a few weeks to attend the air races with friends.  What fun it will be, except.....
The biggest lens I have is a 200mm.  I have a few aircraft photos taken at FNT when there were WWII aircraft visiting with the 200 and they're OK but...  To get a good, not great, result, I had to crop the results.  It barely works on a 23 inch monitor.  I'm expecting to get better opportunities at Reno.  New toy time.
One challenge is that I will be flying commercial to Reno.  My current camera bag will not do the trick.  Along with my camera equipment, I'd like to take a laptop.  Any new bag will have to accommodate the camera equipment and laptop.  There has to be some form of carry-on that will meet this requirement.
As to an appropriate lens, the story gets longer.
Originally I thought about diving into one of the super telephotos around 600 mm.  I was looking at the Sigma and Nikkor models.  In the end though, that means carrying it around and tripods for stability.  (I know, they say hand held, but who whats to take that chance?)  Budget for those items is somewhere int he area of $1500 to $1700.  Not sure I want to go that far.  At least for now.
On my DX (crop), the Nikon lens selection tops out at 300 mm.  In looking at these, I was focusing on the 70-300 models.  There are 18-300 and 55-300 models, but I want to stay with the 70-300 because the AF would/should be faster.
As it turns out, the 70-300 lens are newer models and are not totally compatible with my 5 year old camera.  Well that sucks.  The lens AV is not controllable on the lens, so it defaults in the ON position and can not be changed.  Could be worse.
If you search enough support articles, you can find this information.
With enough reading on the net, one solution was to get the FX version of this model.  All the controls are available.  According the Nikon, it will work on the D7200, not the D90.  I can live with this.  
This could turn out to work really well for me.  Because it is built for full (FX) sensor, my effective range would be 105 to 450 mm.  The purpose of this lens is max range.  This is GREAT.  But....
There is a note in the compatibility chart.  Note says my camera needs to be at the latest firmware version.  No problem, I'm an IT guy and can use Youtube.  Easy....  What could go wrong?
And upgrading the firmware in both the D90 and D7200 was very easy.  Nice to know Nikon updates their products.
In a few days, I'll be in the Detroit area and can stop at the camera shop.  Already checked, they have the lens in stock.  (They also tell me quantities are limited, think they want me there soon?)
Another outing this year will be returning to the Detroit Model Railroad Club on what is turning out to be a annual event.  This time my plan is to work with a prime lens.  I have a 85 mm lens that has worked real well for me that I will use.  Make this interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment