Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Topaz AI Gigapixel

In the quest for cutting down noise, I came across Topaz's AI Gigapixel.  The advertising line is that this product will enlarge any image a bunch.  There are plenty of Youtube videos.
For my purposes, I'd like to be more aggressive in my cropping.  I haven't had any requests to blow up an image to wall size.  Yet.
Did I mention, I really like products with 30 full trials?
So my test image is part of one I took last fall, that of a grass hopper that hitched a ride on the hood of the truck while riding through Shiawassee Nature Refuge.
This original post/story is here.
This is the image:

So I took a small slice of this image and blew it up 400%.  I used PS, in one leap, and AIG.  I understand that PS will do a much better job of expanding an image if done in steps, but there is a time element in this.
My findings:



OK - to see the difference is noticeable at 400% magnification.  Is it at a normal size?  Not so much, but my use would be aggressive crop.  There's a pretty big difference.
Now, is it worth the cost?  The product is $100 - and there are plenty of 15% off coupons for Topaz products floating around.   I have plenty of time to decide, only on day 3 of the evaluation.

No comments:

Post a Comment