Thursday, October 10, 2019

Thunderbird 6 Ship Formation in Overcast Sky

On the last day of the Air Races this year, the sky was more overcast that the previous days.  One reason I didn't take so many shots this year was, in the case of the Thunderbirds, I have plenty of Thunderbird shots against a clear blue sky.  I really wanted to see the show, without the camera between me and subjects.  But I was ready for the cross shots, can never have enough of them, and new formations.  With the overcast, I did take a good number of shots.
The overcast resolved a number of photographic issues.  No hot spots to remove.  In the Thunderbird case, the sun on the white paint scheme really plays with the camera metering.  OK, I lose some light but the camera can handle it.
Sure, there is a lot of optical illusion here but these aircraft are pretty close.  I like this image, for some reason the light from the overcast makes the aircraft look more 'real' to me.  There is mass, there is depth.




Thunderbird 6 Ship Formation in Overcast Skies
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
262 mm, 1/2500 sec, f/6.3, ISO 220 (Auto)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size, DX

Looking forward to the 2020 airshow season.

No comments:

Post a Comment