Saturday, October 12, 2019

Helping Hand

Had a wonderful day today at the Michigan Interscholastic Horsemanship Association (MIHA) State Finals.  I'm still very much a novice at what I saw today, but I do know more about the event than I did 24 hours ago.
I'll get to more about the event in later posts.  Tonight I had to work on something photographic specific.  It is not going to wait until tomorrow.
Today. the D500 and I went to places we've never been before with regard to low lighting.  The event is held in covered arenas, with the main arena open to light on only one side.  I arrived just after 8:00 AM, just in time for the National Anthem.  It was not a pretty day.  Overcast, damp and early.
The short version is I spent the first three hours fiddling with exposure settings to match the lighting.  What speed do I need for this?  And what ISO can I live with?  The only thing I had an idea on was aperture.  This is a lot different than a sunny day in Reno.
The shutter actuated 1,180 times today.  The bad news is I have a lot of throw away images.  The good news is I will be able to see a real world examples of the ISO settings from the D500.  I think, or at least I tried to manipulate the settings enough to, I have many combinations of trading speed for ISO to evaluate.  
The first round of looking at the images went well.  Nothing out of focus.  Some of the subjects are a bit fuzzy, but those are low speed shots.  All in the name of learning something new today.
In the end, I was shooting 1/500 sec with ISO at 12.5k.  That's not a typo.  I think the highest previous ISO was 11.4k for an indoor train shot.  Doable.  That's good, 'cause I have more at this level and higher.
But this was 'fast' action.  Would that make a difference?  Yea, a full frame would be nice, but I have what I have.
And that is what this post is about.  Can I save an image with that high of an ISO?
This was a fun picture.  The most interesting part of the day, for me, was the Cloverleaf event, maybe better/also known as Barrel Racing.  I think I have some wonderful shots.
Many of these kids are very good.  Many others will pay their dues and get to be good.  As you could tell, this wasn't their first rodeo.  (Yes, I said that.)
This rider was in the process of being assessed a five second penalty for knocking over one of the barrels.  Only in the process of.  Then, this rider had the presence of mind to stabilize the barrel while riding.  The cynic in me says this was not the first time that the horse and rider had come into contact with a barrel.  But it is what it is, and they saved a five second penalty.  Awesome.  




Helping Hand
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
90 mm, 1/500 sec, f/5.6, ISO 10000
EV +2, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

I'm not sure this would print all that well.  On a small screen and the monitors it shows up well.  On the monitor the shot is soft because of the noise removal.  The good news I have lots of shots to work on noise removal and develop a technique to manage it.  Winter is coming, and I have something to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment