Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Original Camera Kit - 1980's

My interest of photography began with my father.  (I seem to remember that he was a Canon person initially, then he converted to Nikon.  That may explain a lot.)  Over the years, he led me to the stage that there is more to photography than a point and shoot.  There is artistry.  There are colors.  Instead of taking something, there is creation.  Then I drifted away.  For a while.  The lost years.
I picked up the interest again when I had time and some limited disposable income.  The time was the early 80's and I had just been shipped off to the island of Okinawa for at least 18 months.  Aside from learning a new job (fixing broken jet engines on KC-135s), a new life style (USAF/SAC) and trying to survive on my limited personal food menu in a foreign land, I did have some extra time on my hands.  I found after a few 'small' paychecks that I could afford either a stereo or camera.  Seemed that most of the enlisted chose one or the other.  I went down the middle, little stereo and little film camera.
I went with Minolta at the time, and the XG-1.  I was so happy!  It was the first 'exposure' to me of the relationship between ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture.  My first computer and I didn't know it.  The ISO was set mechanically on a dial, and depending on the shutter speed set there as a 'meter' on the right side of the viewfinder that let you know what the aperture should be.  Very educational.  And basic.
Self learning in those days was expensive as in film developing costs.  And, more than that, you had either 12, 24 or 36 shots per roll to fill up prior to developing.  And.  And more than that there were days between the shot and looking at the final product to see if it could be better.  Ah, the good ol' days.
These days, if you want to learn more, you have videos, software and instant feedback.  Ah, good ol' technology.
So, back to the original kit. The kit has survive all my moves since 1992 - due in part to spending years with my sister.  And now we are re-united.



This kit had it all.  The XG-1, with a film winder attached to the bottom.  The Sunpak flash, the 16 mm fisheye, the 600 mm handheld and a 100-200 zoom.  Later additions is a Vivitar 35 to 105 macro and Vivitar nifty 50 from my maternal grandfather.  (Yea, he was into photography in a big way as well.)  I have no doubt I've already shot my last roll of film.  If the Sunpak still works, I'd be surprised.
The story for this is the 16 mm and 600 mm Sigma lenses.  Can they be used with the Nikons?  Glass is glass, it never goes bad on its own.  


I found a lens mount converter for a Nikon F mount to a Minolta M mount lens.  There's no electronics involved, purely a manual attachment operation.  So I successfully mounted the 600 lens on the D90 and D7200.  
The good news is both will focus.  On the D90, there is no help for metering at all.  On the D7200, in Live View I have a light meter configured and that is a help.




The meter is on the right.  And it worked with the non-CPU lens.  (This is indicated by the F0 in the display.)  And that is the good news.  The other part of this is while the reach is incredible, the 1980s technology shows.  The shot is hazy and about 90% sharp.  There is a window pane between the subject and me.  That might have some effect.  When the weather warms up a bit, I'll head out somewhere and get a better idea. 
Thankfully the software that is available today can help that image.




This is from my house, through a window, across the street to neighbor's holiday porch decoration.  Pretty strong.  Needed tripod though.  Again will have to wait for outdoor testing.
Not sure this will be an air show lens, but could be nature lens.
I didn't try out the 16 mm lens yet.  Still lots of crappy weather weekends to go yet this winter.
Happy to have the kit back.  Lots of good memories.

2 comments:

  1. Yea. Had to think about that one. First went for small object so that was the garage camera. Too close to house number. Then went for the red in the bow. Worked out better - and probably looks like thousands of porches or front steps. And then he probably doesn't follow this blog. Ha.......

    ReplyDelete