Thursday, January 30, 2020

Lunchtime Birding

Last week I noticed a number of birds visiting the tree outside the office window.  There was a diverse mix of species.  Mostly the back yard types.  Unless they weren't.
I am bird ignorant.  I know a pelican from an Eagle, a Robin from a crow but that's about it.
What I saw last week caught my attention.  It was basically blue, but not a blue jay.  So off to the internet.  I found more sites with bird identification photos.  Thankfully.
Anyway, last week tried to get a photo of the target bird with my phone.  I rushed myself and being I don't have a lot of practice with the phone camera I wound up in selfie mode when I tried to use the zoom.  Rookie.
Today, the band of birdies returned.  Time for the real camera.  Actually I think they return each day it is just today I saw them.  They seem to stick around for about 30 minutes - then are gone for the day.  The object of their attention is the tree out front.  At this time of year, there are a few hearty berries sticking around for the winter.  Bird food.  Nature's feeder.
So I see the blue bird again.  And I search the internet for what it is.  This is what I came up with, Eastern Blue Bird.  
Am I becoming a birder?
This would have been an excellent photo if the branch of the tree didn't come across the subject.  I didn't see it there when I was lining up the shot.  There is a time element involved here, this little guys don't stay in one place for very long.  Anyway, need to room to improve.  But good enough for the blog.




Eastern Bluebird in the Tree
NIKON D7200 Ver.1.04/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
450 MM, 1/200 sec, f/6.3, ISO 320 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

I have a birdhouse outside the window.  Yea, looks rustic but it is out of place.  Just a house lot.  The bird house has been in the elements for about five years.  And it shows.  Great character.





Eastern Bluebird at the House
NIKON D7200 Ver.1.04/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
450 MM, 1/200 sec, f/6.3, ISO 400 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

I like this shot as the bird has the slight head tilt.





Eastern Bluebird on the Perch
NIKON D7200 Ver.1.04/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
450 MM, 1/200 sec, f/6.3, ISO 640 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

Fun lunch break.

2 comments:

  1. Some nice shots! I have a few friends who are obsessed with taking bird photos. One guy has traveled all over the world just to get a pic of a particular species. It's an interesting hobby.

    ReplyDelete