Sunday, February 9, 2020

22 Hour Thoughts

Back from a week in Rochester, MN.  I quit flying to these meetings a few years ago.  I drive.  About 22 hours round trip.  I head north over the bridge, follow the top of Lake Michigan out of Michigan, through Wisconsin, cross the Mississippi to Minnesota.  And five days later, reverse the process.
The trip is a good clearing of the mind for me.  Like opening the windows to my head.  It's not entirely a 22 hour 'vacation'.  For the first half of the return drive, I'm trying to comprehend what I had learned in the prior days.  I get to chat with some really bright people.  Really bright.  And I have to come down from those conversations.  Or try to understand them.
And I get to listen to books.  This trip, I finished a book on Lockheed's Skunk Works.  And got a few hours into a book on the Battle of Midway.
Now to the photography stuff.  Lots of time to think of the upcoming photo tour.  And this year's equipment path.  And is there anything new to go after.
I keep looking at the air show pages.  The Charleston page has the event, but none of the other events or attractions.  There will be more than the Blue Angles.  I know there will be more.  The Cherry Point show is shaping up nicely.  The London show has added a flying event with a Focke-Wulf 190 and Messerschmitt ME-109.  This show started as a 50/50 deal for me because it is right up against the Reno show.  With the Snowbirds, Thunderbirds and these two WWII veterans, it is a must go now.  I'll figure out the border crossing thing.
For the horses, I have the October dates for the MIHA finals.  I also have the dates for the regional events.  I have dates for the Michigan Barrel Riders events.  So, lots of horse stuff opportunities.  Maybe even some cowboy boots?  (I did have a nice pair when I was stationed in Lubbock, TX a lifetime ago.)
So on the lookout for something new.  During last haircut, the hairdresser told me about a drag strip that isn't too far away.  Could be interesting.  There are also a couple of Saturday night race tracks in the area.  Hockey doesn't run all year.
There is a point to all the rambling.  That is, I have lots that I can do, if I get off my duff, the weather cooperates and the paying job doesn't interfere.  And as a male who is always in toy acquisition mode I had time to think of the equipment road-map.  The next step for me in the camera world is a full frame.  I've been holding off on a purchase of the D850 waiting for the price to drop a bit more.  There is a rumor that it will be replaced this year.  Or for the year end fire sale this year.  The D850 is professional grade - that is a lot of camera.  And $$$s.  And is recognized as one of the best out there today.  However....  The D780 which is just released can be had for a lot less.  There are a few negatives to the frame, that is things that could have been added.  There are a few positives.  The sensor was stolen from the D5 and the brains (EXPEED6) is from the Z6.  Yep, it has mirrorless technology.  And it is what was called Live View, is now a mirrorless process.  A hybrid.  In a DLSR body.  Now the only question is to jump now or wait till the fire sale at the end of the year.  And this is where all my plans for the next few months kicks in.  If I jump now, there will be lots of use in the next few months.  And the damn Nikon Sales department keeps reminding me about the sales offer.  Every day.
As to the next lens, I can wait.  Looking at the 70-200 f/2.8.  I'm doing OK with what I have but would like something faster for the indoor stuff.  End of year fire sale.
All that in a 22 hour drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment