Saturday, February 22, 2020

I shouldn't be surprised - the D780 takes a good picture

Saturday was made to order for a day trip.  Perfect Michigan winter sky.  Temps above freezing.  Light breeze.  And two pieces of equipment to test/play with.
First, the D780.  For the day I had it matched up with the 70-300.  (I typically don't change lenses out in the field so testing with the 200-500 will come later.)  I wanted to use the Live View option but never did.  Optical View Finder all the way.  But what I did get to play with was multiple forms of Auto Focus.  I usually shoot with single point but with the Live View there are multiple options, much improved due to the Z6.  And so I didn't play with the Live View Auto Focus modes, but did play with more in the OFV.  Interesting to watch the points move with the sea gulls.  Technology.  And truth be told, the D500 has the same options and I just got stuck on single point.  But that is getting away from the point, the photos from the D780.
Magnifying to 100%, looking at photos from the D7200, D500 and D780 I can really tell the difference (Improvement) between the D7200 and D780.  The D500 is a different animal.  In 'normal lighting' it is tough to tell the difference.  Since I was shooting with Auto ISO today, the cameras did a lot of the work.  But definitely the ISO was lower for the day on the D780.
So, some of today's fun.
The St. Joseph North Pier Light is one of my favorite shots.  And it looks like the house has been painted recently.  My last shots has some 'rust' colored spots on the white paint.  Also the roof looks a lot brighter.  All in all it looks good.  The last time out was the first adventure with the D500.  Great proving grounds.




St. Joe's Light in February - No Ice
NIKON D780 Ver.01.00/70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
220 mm, 1/1600 sec, f/8, ISO 200 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size FX

While walking around, there was a local doing some fishing.  I saw on of the rods against the ice encrusted rail.  Great subject picture.  There is a lot to like here.  The detail in the reel and that part of the rod is really great.  That ice, so cool.  (Sorry...)




Fishing Pole on Ice
NIKON D780 Ver.01.00/70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
95 mm, 1/1600 sec, f/8, ISO 100 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size FX

Meanwhile at the South Haven light.  There is some ice on the south side, somewhat protected from water movement I guess.  It was fun to move around, anticipating the waves for timing and position.  Would have been really nice with some bigger waves, but I'll take this action.




South Haven Splash
NIKON D780 Ver.01.00/70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
220 mm, 1/1600 sec, f/8, ISO 110 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size FX

Coming up soon, the work with the 200-500.  Spoiler alert, it all worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment