Monday, February 17, 2020

#3 Hole Save

It is tough not be excited about hockey this time of year.  It is this week in 1980, 40 years ago if my math is correct, that the USA Men's hockey team beat the best team, amateur or pro, in the world.  A group of college kids beat the Red Army.  In 9 of 10 games, it would be the other way around - but on on February 22, 1980 that 1 in 10 happened.  There are three events that I remember where I was and who I was with.  This is one of them.  Thank you YouTube.
So the Pens win over the weekend and are looking like they are playoff bound.  I'm getting to the point where I can say 'my' Firebirds, and my Firebirds are looking good as well.  So I'm in the hockey mood these days.  (I've been working on some aircraft photos taken last spring in an effort to have warm thoughts about this year's tour, but not over this week.)
So in the hockey mood, I took the D780 out for its first night out.  Lucky to have any good results at all, I was playing with the menu a lot.  But only on the DLSR side, not the mirrorless side.  Still working on the mirrorless stuff.
One of the things I need to see work is that the new camera would write to both cards.  So I set it to write RAW files to one and JPG files to the other card.  (Spoiler Alert, both slots work.)  And I have a JPG file to work with as well, for comparative purposes.
The #3 hole save.

Straight from the camera.



My take.




Goalie #3 Hole Save
NIKON D780 Ver.01.00/70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
300 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 2200 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode

One of the advantages I've been using as a crutch when shooting with the D500 is the focal length there is a optical 'trick' that gives an allusion of a larger lens.  Not so here.  300 mm is 300 mm here.  But it was enough.
Saturday was Tropical night.  Dig those outfits.

No comments:

Post a Comment